Instructional Design Resources for Distance Education
In addition to the training opportunities for online teaching available at SMCCCD and beyond, here are some resources for improving your online course design and teaching.
Course Design and Development
- Instructional Design Tips for Online Learning (CSU Chico)
- Educational Origami - A blog and wiki about 21st-century teaching and learning. It looks at a variety topics through a digital-learning lens, including Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives.
- The Center for Universal Design in Education - This University of Washington website provides a rich store of resources on Universal Design.
- CAST UDL Modules - Two online modules created by CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology) that introduce the theory, principles and application of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- CCC Distance Education Accessibility Guidelines (2012)
- Free technology resources for education - CCC technology resources, plus a list of free Web 2.0 technologies developed by the Distance Education Advisory Committee.
- Seven Principles of Effective Teaching: A Practical Lens for Evaluating Online Courses - 2001 article that provides guidelines for online teaching, based on the widely-used principles outlined in the classic 1987 Chickering and Gamson article (Chickering, A., & Gamson, Z. (1987), Seven principles of good practice in undergraduate education, AAHE Bulletin, 39, 3-7).
- Quality Checklist (Northern Arizona University) - This useful checklist is also based on Chickering and Gamson's Seven Principles of Good Practice.
- ADEC Guiding Principles for Distance Teaching and Learning - DE principles from the American Distance Education Consortium.
- MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) - A collection of peer-reviewed online learning materials for higher education.
- Specific Activities that Promote Online Discussion - One of a number of online education resources from the Illinois Online Network.
- Resources for Developing Online Interaction - Links to resources for improving online discussions provided on the blog Online Learning Insights.
- Rubric for Online Instruction (CSU Chico) - Useful tool for self-assessment of your online course or for use in designing a new course
- Guide to Evaluating Distance Education and Correspondence Education (ACCJC/WASC)