Academic Excellence Starts in the Classroom
The relationship established between a student and professor is the foundation for academic achievement. Students at Cañada have the opportunity to interact with some of the most accomplished community college professors in the nation. Here are several examples:
- Jeanette Medina earned the first Teacher-Scholar Award for Community College Chemistry Faculty presented by the American Chemical Society.
- Denise Erickson, professor of art history, was invited to deliver a series of lectures at the Stanford University Cantor Center.
- Engineering Professor Amelito Enriquez has received honors for his academic research on the use of tablet PCs to enhance student performance in mathematics and engineering classes.
- Anniqua Rana, professor of English as a Second Language, has worked with a UC-Santa Cruz research team to study testing and placement policies impacting language minority students at California community colleges. She has also been named the Bay Area Hub Coordinator for the state’s Basic Skills Initiative.
- Paul Roscelli, professor of economics, has been recognized as a national leader in Phi Theta Kappa, the honors society for two-year colleges.