Faculty Professional Development
For complete information about faculty professional development, please refer to the AFT contract Article 13, Professional Development Program. Complete contract can be found here.
Description of proposals
- SHORT-TERM proposal activities include retraining or improving existing skills. Typical activities include conferences, workshops and seminars. This fund provides substitute pay for release time, as well as conference or registration fees. Proposals may be submitted throughout the year. See below for more information on covered expenses. Short term projectes are defined as activities of three weeks or less.
- LONG -TERM proposal activities include retraining, advanced study, and research. This fund provides full pay for any number of units of semester-long reassigned time. Deadlines for Spring semester is October 15 and for Fall semester is March 1. If the deadline date falls on a non-working day, applications are due the next business day. Eligibility: Third and fourth year tenure track, and full-time faculty. See below for more information on covered expenses. Long term projects are defined as activities of more than three weeks up to a full semeter.
- SABBATICAL/EXTENDED LEAVE Deadline for Applications is February 1. Eligibility: Full-time tenured faculty. Sabbatical/extended leave is defined as full release from regular duties for an academic year.
- COVERED: Registration Fee, Faculty Replacement, SMCCCD Tuition Fee, Travel (mileage/transportation, lodging). Proof of estimated covered expenses including mileage calculation (roundtrip from Cañada College OR home whichever is closer to conference site), hotel, air, bus/train/shuttle reservations MUST be attached. Effective August 15, 2011 Professional Development travel funds (mileage/transportation, lodging) will cover a maximum of $500.00 per year, per applicant. TRAVEL FUND IS CONTINGENT UPON AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS.
- EXPENSES NOT COVERED: Meals, membership fees, dues, conference materials, parking fee, bridge tolls, fees associated with cancellation.
COMPLETE INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS CAN BE FOUND IN THE APPLICATION.
Contact Professor Kurt Devlin, Professional Development Committee Chair, for further information at Devlin@smccd.edu or (650) 306-3180. All applications should be approved and signed by the Division Dean, then submitted to Joan Rosario Tanaka in the Office of Instruction in building 8, room 202A. If you are unable to attend the conference, please notify Joan (Jo'an) Rosario Tanaka at firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 306-3353 BEFORE the day of the conference. It is your responsibility to contact the conference organizers to receive a refund.
- Professional Development Application (Required, updated 01/2014)
- Short Term Project Report (Optional)
- Long Term Project Report (Required)
- Conference Advance Form (Required for out of state travel for President's approval but Optional for in state travel)
- Statement of Conference Expenses Form (Required)
Examples of successful applications/proposals and reports
Short Term Proposal:
- Alison Field - Organization of American Historians Annual Meeting (Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Anissa Gawad - 27th Annual Fall Seminar CPE By The Bay (Business, Workforce, & Athletics)
- Sandra Mendez - UC Counselor Conference (Counseling)
- Polin Yadak - 2012 NROC Network Members Meeting (Science & Technology)
Long Term Proposal:
- Jeanette Medina (Science & Technology)
Project report (Long Term):
Professional Development Committee MembersPer AFT contract, Article 13.11, committee membership consists of 3 AFT appointed faculty, 1 Academic Senate appointed faculty., and 2 Administrators:
- Kurt Devlin - Professinal Development Commiittee Chair
- Salumeh Eslamieh - Faculty, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Lisa Palmer - Faculty, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Denise Erickson - Faculty, Humanities & Social Sciences (split time with Nathan Staples)
- Gregory Anderson - Vice President of Instruction
- David Johnson - Dean of Humanities & Social Sciences