San Francisco State University Admission Requirements
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The School of Nursing offers the Sequoia Hospital/SFSU Baccalaureate Nursing Program, a pre-licensure (RN) bachelor’s degree program, at Cañada College. The Bachelor of Science degree prepares students for entry-level positions in professional nursing practice. Graduates are prepared to take a national licensure examination to become registered nurses and for positions in maternity, pediatrics, medical-surgical nursing, gerontology, psychiatric/mental health, community health, long-term care, and home care. In addition, graduates are eligible for RN licensure and Public Health Nursing Certification in California upon completion of the program.
Transfer applicants must submit an application for admission to undergraduate studies at SFSU in addition to the School of Nursing Baccalaureate Admission Application and supporting documentation. To complete an application for admission to undergraduate studies at SFSU, please visit the CSU Mentor website at www.csumentor.edu.
Prospective students must meet the following requirements to apply:
- Must be a California resident at least for one year.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application.
- Earn a minimum grade of C in all prerequisite courses. Repeat of a prerequisite course is acceptable.
- Complete the prerequisite courses noted below (or those listed as comparable on Assist.org or in the SFSU bulletin) no later than the end of the spring semester following submission of an application.
- Applicants may apply to only one of the programs offered by SFSU School of Nursing in a given admission year.
- Attain the “Proficient” level or higher on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS®V). Results will need to be submitted with the School of Nursing Baccalaureate Admission Application.
Major Preparation/Prerequisite Courses at Cañada College
Human Anatomy – BIOL 250
Human Physiology – BIOL 260
Survey of Chemistry – CHEM 410
General Microbiology – BIOL 240
Written Communication – ENGL 100
Oral Communication – COMM 110
(Or select one course from the certification list of CSU GE Breadth Area A-1: Oral Communication)
Critical Thinking – PHIL 103
(Or select one course from the certification list of CSU GE Breadth Area A-3: Critical Thinking)
Quantitative Reasoning – MATH 200
No more than one of the prerequisites should be in progress during the spring semester following submission of an application. Please note this requirement is subject to change. Visit the nursing website for the most recent information.
Supplemental (Optional) Criteria for Sequoia Program
In addition to selection by grade point average in the prerequisite courses, supplemental criteria will be considered for admission to the program. The supplemental criteria are not mandatory; however, it is to your advantage to document the one(s) that you do qualify for:
- Health-related work or volunteer experience. These experiences must be substantiated with a document or letter on formal organizational stationery.
- Multicultural work or volunteer experience and/or fluency in a language other than English. These experiences must be substantiated with a document or letter on formal organizational stationery.
- Live and/or work in the Sequoia Healthcare District (see Sequoia Healtcare District website for specific zip codes included in the district) for at least two years. Must be documented with utility bill, mortgage, or rent payment.
- Complete at least half of the required prerequisite classes within the San Mateo County Community College District.
*This should be used as a guide only. All degree requirements are subject to change. See Cañada counselors and/or University partner contacts for complete prerequisites and/or degree requirements.