A new program is being piloted this summer. The Community of Leadership and Transfer Success (COLTS) Academy is a 4-day student support program that begins on Monday, July 28 and ends on Thursday, July 31st. This summer program was created through a collaborative effort across many departments and student support programs. The steering committee consists of representatives from Counseling, ASCC, A2B, BTO, TRIO, STEM, Transfer Center, Career Center, EOPS/CalWORKS, Learning Center, and Outreach. We hope to also include faculty, the financial aid office, and the Welcome Center.
The purpose of the Academy is for students to:
1. Connect – meet fellow Cañada students, faculty, and staff.
2. Lead – learn their leadership style and how and when to apply it.
3. Succeed – walk away with a Transfer Success Portfolio equipped with tools and resources for college success.
We hope to serve 50 new students in this summer pilot; the target group will be first-time freshmen who have completed our Priority Enrollment Program (PEP). COLTS Academy will feature fun and interactive workshops, a powerful mix of peer leaders who will be the students’ mentors-for-the-day, free academic resources, and an amazing opportunity for students to get a head start on their academic career at Cañada College.
Some of the activities will include:
- Exploring learning styles
- The Growth Mindset (developing your brain like a muscle)
- First-year survival (tips and tools on how to be academically prepared)
- Transfer 101 (the fundamentals of understanding transfer)
- Financial aid and budgeting
- “Who you are matters” (exploring the student experience)
- Career Exploration
- How to get involved (with ASCC!)
- And so much more!
If you or your department would like to contribute or volunteer for COLTS Academy, please contact our steering committee at (650) 306-3111 or email email@example.com