Frequently Asked Questions

Concurrent enrollment is an enrichment program that allows high school students to get an early start on higher education by earning college credits while still in high school. College courses taken in high school may be used to fulfill college and university requirements without the expense of most university programs. Many courses are transferable to four-year colleges and universities.

You should talk with your high school counselor about the college courses that are appropriate for you to take. Your counselor can review your high school transcript and help determine what courses best meet your educational goals and are suited to your academic ability.

Yes. To participate, your parent/guardian and your high school principal or designee must approve your college connection form with desired classes listed. Depending upon the course(s) you wish to take, you may need to meet course prerequisites.

Certain college courses require that you have acquired specific skills or knowledge to be successful in the class. To be eligible to enroll in the course, you must be able to demonstrate that you possess the skills or knowledge to be successful. There are several requirements that students must meet to participate:

  • Obtain permission from their parent/guardian and high school principal/designee by approval of the students college connection form
  • Students must send their high school transcripts to for prerequisite clearance.

With the AP courses you complete in high school, you will still need to take the AP test before earning college credit. AP tests are not free, while concurrent enrollment is free for up to 11 units. Remember, not all universities accept AP Credit, and you must score at least a “3” on each test to earn college credit. Even within the UC system, not every university (or even each college within the university) similarly accepts AP credit. Go to and search for “quick reference for counselors” for additional information.

Most concurrent enrollment students do very well in their college classes. However, if you fail the course, you may wish to retake the course at a later time. It is essential to know that once you enroll in a college course, you will be establishing a permanent academic record that will remain with you throughout your college education. That’s why you must meet with your high school counselor to help you select suitable courses. Once you are enrolled, you should also talk with college counselors to make sure you are aware of important deadlines for dropping classes and for obtaining help if you need it.

To obtain district transcripts, visit WebSMART and log in with your user ID (G #), and your PIN number. Once you've logged into WebSMART, click on “Student Services,” “Student Records,” and finally, “Request Official Transcripts."

Students can take up to 11 units for free (materials and book fees excluded). 11.5 or more units, the student would be responsible for all fees, including tuition, materials, and book fees.

Yes, but the student can not exceed 11 units combined.

The middle school student will need to send a recommendation letter, and a copy of the college connection form to A&R from their school principal stating that they can participate in concurrent enrollment. Once A&R receives the letter, they will notify the professor and wait for approval or denial to move forward with registration.