Apply to Cañada College as a Veteran

You served. Now let Cañada College serve you.

Cañada College is here to empower you to achieve your educational goals and we are especially proud to serve our nation's veterans.

In order to register for classes at Cañada College and apply for VA Educational Benefits, student veterans will need to follow the seven steps below. Please note that financial aid is also available. Visit the financial aid website for more information about how you can afford to pay for college.

Steps to Enrollment

Apply to Cañada College using a California Community Colleges OpenCCC account.

Once you create on OpenCCC account, you’ll begin the application process where you’ll be asked for your intended major and an educational goal, along with some basic personal, educational and residency information.

After applying, you’ll receive communication from the college once your application has been reviewed. For students that have been admitted to the college, your Student ID Number (G-Number) will be sent to you via email.

Please note that although many eligible Veterans choose to apply to a VA Educational Benefits program, this step is optional and is not necessary to enroll at Cañada College.

If you are applying for VA Educational Benefits (Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35 or 1606) or updating your benefit to change your place of training to Cañada College you will need to do so using the VA’s Education and Training Page.

Dependents and Active Duty Service members click HERE for additional information.

Veterans can get help navigating the VA Educational Benefit application process by contacting the Veterans Resource and Opportunity Center (VROC).

The VRC can also provide referrals to the appropriate resources to help determine eligibility for VA Educational Benefits and much more.

The New Student Orientation will provide you with the information, resources, and tools you need to be successful at Cañada College.

Note: If you already have a college degree, you may not be required to do this step. Consult email communication received from the college after your application has been processed.

Use an assessment measure to determine English, Math, or ESOL placement. Visit the Assessment/Placement website for more information on assessment measures by student type.

Note: If you have taken placement tests at a different Institution of Higher Education, or have taken classes at another Institution of Higher Education, please contact the Counseling Department to schedule an appointment with a veterans counselor to discuss further.

Counselors are here to help you navigate your educational experience and reach your goals. When you meet with a counselor you’ll discuss your educational goal, determine the courses that are right for you and create an educational plan to help you map out your academic experience.

Make sure to request an appointment with a Veterans Counselor when you contact the Counseling Department. There are Academic Counselors designated to help student veterans. These counselors are knowledgeable about creating a student education plan that meets VA guidelines for using VA Education Benefits. Bring transcripts from all colleges attended with you to your appointment and make sure to ask for a soft evaluation of transcripts and a Student Educational Plan.

View WebSchedule for the most up to date course offerings.

Access your WebSMART student account for the following services and more:

  • View your assigned priority registration date
  • Add/Drop courses and pay fees (Note: certain fees may not apply if you are paying for your courses through a 3rd party payee. Please speak with the School Certifying Official if you plan to use VA Educational Benefits)
  • Access your student email
  • Purchase a Parking Permit

It is important that students submit Official Transcripts from all colleges previously attended outside of SMCCCD (including Joint Services Transcripts) to Admissions and Records. Students will also need to have a soft evaluation done on all outside transcripts with a Veterans Counselor to ensure they are not taking any repeated courses that they have already completed and passed at outside colleges/universities. Failure to get a soft evaluation of unofficial transcript(s) and failure to submit official transcript(s) to request a transcript evaluation (TES), could put students at risk of being certified for repeated courses. Students who are certified for repeated courses are responsible to pay back any debt accrued.

Official Transcripts can be sent electronically from the previous college to If the colleges cannot send your official transcripts as a PDF, please have your official transcripts mailed to the below address.

Cañada College
Admissions and Records
4200 Farm Hill Blvd
Redwood City, CA 94061