Veteran's Education Benefits

Cañada College is committed to assisting Veterans, their dependents, and reservists in obtaining their VA educational benefits and in achieving their educational and career goals.

Cañada College is approved by the State Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to certify veterans, dependents of deceased veterans, veterans that have a 100% service-connected disability and reservists as students. Once certified, veterans are able to apply for and use their educational benefits. 

Cañada College is approved to offer programs that lead to a certificate, an associate degree and a transfer to a four-year institution.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at



Federal VA Department Educational Assistance Programs

Chapter 30

Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (MGIB)

Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 35

Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 1606

Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

Chapter 1067

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

GI Bill® website The Post-9-11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008


To receive VA Educational Benefits you must complete the following two steps:

  1. Apply for VA benefits from the VA Department
  2. Apply and enroll at Cañada College


Step 1 - Apply for VA Education Benefits

Veterans under Chapter 30, 31, 1606 and1067 can apply for benefits online at:

The signature page, a copy of your DD-214 and your Notice of basic Eligibility (NOBE) DD-2384 if Chapter 1606 must be submitted to the VA Department to complete the VA application process.

Dependents of Veterans under Chapter 35, need to complete the paper application form #22-5490.  Mail the completed form directly to the VA Department.

For more information and eligibility requirements go to:

VA Forms
Complete Online Form Number Title of Form Who Needs It?
checkmark 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits

• Chapter 30, 1607, or 1606

• Never collected benefits

checkmark 22-1995 Request For Change of Program or Place of Training

• Chapter 30, 1607, or 1606
• Collected benefits before

• Educational Objective changes
checkmark 22-5490 Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

• Chapter 35

• Never collected benefits
checkmark 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

• Chapter 35
• Collected benefits before

• Educational Objective changes


Step 2 - Apply and Enroll at Cañada College

  • Submit College application
  • Submit  the following documents to the Veteran’s Office (Building 9 room 121)
    • Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or DD-2384 for Chapter 1606
    • Transcripts
      • All official transcripts of prior college work and military schools must be submitted as soon as possible. Certification for benefits may be delayed if transcripts have not been received
      • Certificate of eligibility from VA Department
  • Placement Testing/Orientation
  • Make an appointment with the VA counselor at Cañada College to complete an Education plan. To make an appointment call (650) 306-3452.
  • Register for courses via WebSMART