Continuing Students


If you are already registered with us, here are your responsibilities:

You need to request accommodations for every semester you want to use accommodations.  If you do not request accommodations, you will be not be able to receive academic accommodations and will be considered "unregistered" in the DRC for the semesters you do not request accommodations. 
We recommend that you request accommodations a couple of weeks before the semester begins.  Here is the link to the accommodation request form.

It is your responsibility to deliver your accommodation memo to your professors and request an appointment to review your accommodations with them.  This is very important, because not all accommodations will be used in every class and every professor will implement your accommodations in a different way. 

You have two options on how you'd like to review your accommodations with your professors: 

  • If you would like us to have a group meeting with the DRC and your professor to review your accommodations, please cc-us when emailing your memo to your professor and let your professor know that you’d like to meet as a team to review your accommodations for their class. If you're not sure how to word this email, here is an example:

Hello Professor Good,

I am in your HIST 200 course that meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3pm.  I have attached my accommodation memo to this email for you. I'd like to request a group appointment with you and the DRC to review which accommodations on my memo I will need to use for your class.  It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Please let us know your availability.  

Thank you,

Hanna Banana 

  • If you prefer meeting with your professor without the DRC to review your accommodations, we recommend reviewing every accommodation on your memo to let your professors know which accommodations apply to their classes and which ones don’t apply to their classes.  If you're not sure how to word your email, here is an example:

Hello Professor Nice,

I am in your ENGL 100 course that meets on Thursdays at 6pm  I am emailing my accommodation memo to you, and I'd like to make an appointment with you to let you know which accommodations do not apply to your class and which ones require your support.  I would only need a few minutes of your time. Please let me know when is a good day and time for us to talk on the phone or via email. 

Looking forward to hearing from you,

North Dakota 



After you meet with your professors, please send them an email to thank them for their time and a summary of what you agreed upon for each accommodation.  This is important to make sure you did not misunderstand anything during your meeting with your professor.  If you're not sure how to word your thank you email, here is one example:

Hello Professor Smith,

Thank you for meeting with me today.  Here is a summary of our conversation today

  • Assistive Technology: My assistive technology is my magnifying app on my phone.

  • Audio recording: I will not need this accommodation for your class, because you will record your lectures and post them on Canvas for all students. 

  • Preferential Seating: I will ask the DRC office to place a reserved sign on the seat that is in the third row from the back of the room, against the window. 

  • 1.5x Extended time on test/quizzes: You will allow me to come to your earlier class session so I can start my test early and then I can stay in the same room to continue working on my test/quiz with the rest of my class.

  • Breaks During Tests/Quizzes:  I will have the option to have to have a break after each page that I complete.  I understand that you will give me only one page at a time so that I will not be able to see any other questions on the exam before a break, and I must turn in the completed pages before I go on my break.  I will be allowed no more than 5 minutes per break, and no more than 4 breaks total during tests and no more than two breaks during quizzes. 
  • Distraction reduced environment: Sound and fluorescent lights distract me, so you will allow me to wear noise reducing headsets or ear plugs that I will be responsible for bringing, and I will sit in your office without any lights on.  If no one will be available to proctor me in your office, you will allow me to wear sunglasses in the classroom if lights must be on or sit by the window to get natural light.  If I forget my headsets, it will be my responsibility to go get a pair from the DRC office before the class begins. 

Please let me know if my notes are accurate.  Thank you for supporting my needs this semester. 

Have a great day,

Austin Texas



If you are receiving temporary accommodations or have a new a disability, it is your responsibility to submit your new documentation to us as soon as possible.  You may turn in your updated documentation in a few ways:

If you do not receive a confirmation the we have received your new documentation within 5 business days, please email us at 


Here are examples of documentation that we accept:

  • A copy of your medical examination results (e.g. eye exam, hearing test, etc)
  • A letter on letterhead verifying a diagnosis by a doctor or other qualified professional. If you will be submitting a doctor's note, please make sure it includes the following:
    • Letter/note must be on letterhead 
    • It must be dated within the last month
    • Must disclose or explain your health condition/challenge
    • A description of the current impact in an educational setting
    • Must include the duration of condition/challenge (this will determine how long we can provide accommodations for you). 
    • List of recommended accommodations 
    • It must have a signature (electronic is signature is okay) 

If you have a medical challenge (physical or mental) and you cannot get a doctor's note, you may ask your medical professional to complete the Medical Verification form instead. 

Although Skyline College and College of San Mateo are in the same district, we are three separate colleges.  Therefore, if you take classes at any of our sister colleges and would like to receive academic accommodations at their colleges, it is your responsibility to register with them.
To register for disability services at Skyline College, please visit their website at this link: 
To register to disability services at College of San Mateo, please visit their website at this link:
If your accommodations are not helping you, you should not have to struggle.  Do not be afraid to contact us and ask us for help for any reason.  One of the options you have is for us to review your current accommodations to see if we need to amend any of your supports.  If you feel overwhelmed or just have a curious question, don't hesitate to email one of our staff members. 
If you would like the DRC to proctor any of your exams, it is your responsibility to request proctoring.  If you would like the DRC to proctor any tests or quizzes, here is what you need to do:


1st: Download the Proctor Request Form (aka Blue Form) - [contact canadadrc@smccd if you do not see download option here]

  • You need to turn this form in at least 7 days prior to the test. No proctoring will be allowed after test dates given by instructor.

2nd: Complete your portion of the form:

  • Student name
  • G#
  • Kurzweil on the test?
  • Semester
  • Class
  • Instructor Name

3rd: Then you must email/hand deliver the form to your instructor and have them complete the rest of the form:

  • Date of test
  • Time of test
  • Length of time to take the test
  • If student has back-to-back classes, is there a flexible start time?
  • Agree where the test will be proctored
  • Let us know how the test will be delivered to us
  • Let us know how you would like us to return the test to you
  • Give us any special instructions for the test
  • Professor signature 

4th: Then you must collect the completed form from the instructor and deliver it to us WITH the second page (Test Accommodation Form) signed.  On this second page, you are agreeing to the following:

  1. Testing accommodations will not be provided until a student’s eligibility for such services has been verified. Testing accommodation will be provided to students only in courses where their educational limitations indicate that they are necessary.
  2. Testing accommodations will occur during the scheduled test time when other students are taking the exam, unless agreed upon in advance by the instructor.
  3. Exams will be stopped and instructors will be notified if cheating, unauthorized use of notes, books, calculators or other improper behaviors are observed during the examination. Infractions will be referred to the Vice President of Student Services for due process as defined by the Cañada College catalogue.

5th: You will be getting a confirmation email from the DRC.  If you do not receive any email from us after 48 business hours, please email us to confirm that we have received your proctoring request.


If you are experiencing any difficulties completing the process of making a proctoring appointment with us, please contact us at as soon as possible so we can help you.


 Video Tutorials:

Upload your own documents: TBA

How to highlight and take notes: TBA

How to change the voice settings: TBA

How to use Kurzweil as a reader on websites: TBA


Important for you to know:

All DRC students get priority registration unless they:

  • Are attending their 1st semester at the college
  • Are concurrent students (currently enrolled in high school too)
  • Do not have an updated Student Education Plan (SEP) on file by the deadline 
  • Have over 100 units or on probation need to do paperwork

This is very important to meet with your academic counselor every semester, because we want to make sure you are taking the right classes toward your academic goals.  And remember, not all classes are transferable so please make sure to meet with an academic counselor to double check that you are on the right track. The DRC's Academic Counselor is To Nhu Do and she can be contacted at

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (“IDEA”) only applies to K-12.  In some instances, students may continue to have legal rights under certain federal laws, through college programs, and in employment.


However, when students graduate from high school or reach age 21, they no longer have rights under the IDEA.  The reason why is because IDEA establishes the right to a “free appropriate public education” (“FAPE”), but post secondary education is not free.  There are tuition costs to attend colleges and universities.  


But college students will remain to have the right to academic accommodations through the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and be protected from discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

  • Yes, if:

    • You've moved permanently to another state. Register to vote in the new state.

    • You've moved within your state or changed your name. Update your voter registration with your new location or your new name. Make sure you also update your state driver's license or state ID card before the election, if that's the voter ID you'll use.

  • No, if:

    • Your name and address have not changed and you're an active voter.

  • Maybe, if:

    • You move to a different state very close to the date of a presidential primary or general election. Check with your old state. You may be able to vote by mail through your old state for that election. After that, you'll need to register with and begin voting in your new state.


*The DRC is here to help you register to vote in the state of California.  Please contact us at if you need any assistance.  For more details please see the "Resources for Students" tab to the left of our webpage. 

Students with verified disabilities have the right to receive reasonable academic adjustments in order to create an educational environment where they have equal access to instruction. The District is thus responsible to make modifications to academic requirements and practices as necessary—without any fundamental alteration of academic standards, courses, educational programs or degrees—to ensure that it does not discriminate against qualified students with disabilities. In addition, each district is required to have a policy and procedure for responding to students with verified disabilities who request academic adjustments.  Here HERE to download the Policy and Procedures for Providing Academic Adjustments for Students with Disabilities.

If you do not wish to contact the DRC for any concerns or questions, you may contact the college's ADA Compliance Officer.  His name is Dr. Wissem Bennani at

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. This includes any of the following:

  • All unwelcome sex-based and/or gender-based conduct
  • All unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature
  • Sexual harassment resulting from a hostile environment
  • Quid Pro Quo Sexual Harassment (“This for That”)
  • Sexual Violence
  • Intimate Partner Violence
  • Stalking
  • Harassment through severe, pervasive or persistent behavior


Cañada College's Title IX Coordinator is Dean Max Hartman.  He can be reached at

There is a formal and informal process for student grievances.  For more information, please visit the college's Student Complaints page.  If you need any assistance filing a grievance, such as requiring a scribe or a reader, please contact us at and we will help you through the process.