Private University Information

A list of Private and Independent Universities that are non-profit and WASC accredited is available at the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities website: This web page provides:

  • A direct link to each campus’s website
  • Information about admission policies
  • Application deadlines
  • Financial aid and scholarship offerings
  • Campus profiles and more….

"California's Independent Colleges and Universities Transfer Guide" will provide you with guidance, and profile of private universities in California that includes the admission requirements such as GPA, unit, and test requirements.  It also provides you with the contact information. 

Many of the private universities do not have formal articulation agreements with community colleges which make the transfer process challenging. By gathering the information provided on the above links, you learn about the admission process and requirements as well as course requirements for the major you are interested in. You may meet with your counselor at Cañada College to explore your options and develop a Student Educational Plan.

To Apply to Private and Out-of-State Universities you may use "Common Application". List of universities that are using Common application for admission can be found under "Explore" tab on the main page.  

Some universities may use application developed by their own individual campus that can be accessed from their website.

Private and Out-of-State universities may require additional documents/materials for admission.  Please note that these requirements may vary campus to campus:

  • Personal Statement/Essay - topics varies 
  • Supplemental application
  • College Report - to verify your academic and disciplinary status at the current college
  • Transcripts - your academic records form all colleges and universities attended
  • Letter of Recommendation(s)
  • SAT/ACT test - some campuses require at least one of these tests from college students even they have a junior status 
  • other - this depends on major, for example, students with Art or Graphic Design major may require to submit a portfolio.

College Report

If you applied to a Private or Out of State Universities, you may be required to submit a “College Report” as part of the Common Application for admission purposes. To submit this form, you need to:

  • Complete  the “Request Form” 
  • Complete the top section of the first page of the “College Report” form and sign it - This form is available at the Common Application
  • Submit both forms to the Admissions Office at Cañada College. However, due to the current situation, you may email both forms to Soraya Sohrabi, at

Please note that due to the current status, we can only send the “College Report” form to the universities by email.