Frequently Asked Questions

1. I have attended another college and now would like to see how I can use those units here at Cañada College. How do I begin?

Please make an appointment to meet with a counselor and bring a copy of your unofficial transcript or be able to access it on-line during your counseling appointment. For official evaluation, please see our Transcript Evaluation Service.

2. How can I make an appointment to meet with a counselor to figure out what courses I need to take?

To schedule an appointment with a counselor, you will need to have a Cañada College student ID (G#).  Ifyou have not yet applied to our college, please complete our college application. When you get your student ID#, please call our Welcome Center at (650) 306-3452 or drop by the center located in building 9, 1st floor to schedule a counseling appointment.

3.What is our financial aid code and school code?

Our Federal school code for your financial aid application is 006973. Our college code when sending us a report score is 004109.

4. How long will it take me to earn an associate degree or transfer to a UC or CSU?

It depends on the number of units that you enroll in each semester and your math and English level.

To earn an associate degree, you will need to complete Engl 100, Math 120 or 123 (most degrees), general education courses, major requirement courses and meet our graduation requirements.

To transfer, you will need 60 transferrable units and meet UC/ CSU admissions requirements (private universities/ colleges as well as universities outside California have different admissions requirements). A full-time student (taking 15 or more units per semester) and who places directly into the transfer level math and English may be able to transfer after two years, depending on lower division prerequisites and with careful planning with a counselor. It is important that you work with a counselor starting your first semester at our college.

5. When do I apply to transfer?

For most public colleges and universities, the application for transfer is at the beginning of the last academic year prior to completing 60 transferable units. For example, the fall application period for California State Universities is from October 1st – November 30th on Cal State Apply. If you plan to apply for a college or university in another state, they generally have different admissions requirements, it is IMPORTANT to meet with a counselor to discuss your transfer plan.

6. If I repeat a course that I got a “D” or “F” grade and receive a better grade, will “D” or “F” be taken off my transcript?

No, all the grades that you have received will always appear on your transcript even if you repeat the course and receive a better grade. We use the last grade that you receive to calculate your cumulative GPA and total units.

7. How many times can I repeat a course?

Beginning with summer 2012, a student may attempt a course a maximum of three times. A “course attempt” occurs when a student receives an evaluative or non-evaluative symbol for the course. All symbols (A,B,C,D,F,W,P,NP,C,NC,I) are identified as a “course attempt". Furthermore, all prior course attempts in a student’s record count toward the limit. For example, if you have taken Engl 100 twice and did not pass it with a “C” grade, you are allowed to take the course one more time. If you are not able to pass it for the third time, you will not be able to take this course at Cañada, CSM or Skyline College. You will have to take this course at another community college outside San Mateo Community College District.

One additional enrollment (a fourth enrollment) may be considered for approval under the following circumstances.

  1. A significant lapse of time of at least three years has occurred since the course was taken.
  2. The enrollment is for the purpose of establishing recency in the course content, but not for the purpose of improving an established grade.
  3. Extenuating circumstances such as fire, flood, accident, or other extraordinary documentable conditions beyond the student's control.

8. What is a Student Educational Plan (SEP)?

It is an outline of suggested courses based on sequence of courses and major. Some students think of it as a GPS system that they need to follow in order to reach their educational goal. It is highly recommended that you meet with a counselor to develop your SEP during the first semester and update it throughout your enrollment at our college.

9. How does a grade of W (withdraw), I (incomplete), NP (no passing) affect me?

The W, I, NP grade are not factored into your GPA. However, you are required to pass at least 50% of all courses taken in our District in order to avoid being placed on the Progress Probation. If you are on the Progress Probation for three consecutive semesters, you will be placed on the Progress Dismissal – you will need to file a Petition for Reinstatement with a counselor and wait for the college’s decision whether to reinstate you.

If you receive an Incomplete grade, you need to meet the deadline agreed upon with your instructor to remove or change the grade within one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned.

10. Is there a class I can take to help me choose a career?

Yes, CRER 137 is our LIFE AND CAREER PLANNING course; the class is designed to help you make progress towards selecting a major and a career. It is a 3 unit course and UC/CSU transferable. We also offer CRER 407, Exploring Careers, Majors and Transfer; it is a one unit course and CSU transferrable. CRER 430 is our Career Exploration course, .5 units for individual career counseling and assessment.

If you do not find an answer to your question, please schedule an appointment with a counselor by contacting the Welcome Center at 650-306-3452