Textbook Affordability Subcommittee
Goals and Responsibilities
- In a given term, 75% of courses/sections would be OER-converted (ZCT, Low-Cost, No-Textbook);
- Develop a repository of permanent campus-wide resources;
- Develop partnerships with transfer institutions/programs (through Curriculum);
- Create a program of incentives for all instructors to put their materials in the public domain, including adoption of low-cost materials and ZCT.
 ZCT = Zero Cost Textbook (including all other materials); Low-Cost = all materials cost less than $40; No-Text = there are no course materials (e.g. textbooks, articles, lab kits) for this course
- Evangelize and educate on the use of OER, including new advances in OER (e.g. OpenStax, LibreTexts);
- Encourage adoption of OER and sharing of materials across disciplines;
- Work with faculty to include OER in the COR for their courses, ensuring the rigor is appropriate for the course;
- Distribute the resources across the campus community;
- Work with OER partners at CSM/SKY;
- Report out to ASGC and other participatory governance bodies.
- Sarah Harmon, Academic Senate OER Liaison and OER/ZTC Coordinator
- Nada Nekrep, Online Instruction Coordinator
- Diana Tedone-Goldstone, Librarian
- Candice Nance Carrigan, Business, Workforce and Design Division Representative
- John Pérez, Humanities and Social Sciences Division Representative
- Diane Wakeham, Science and Technology Division Representative
- Eshton Liu, ASCC Representative
- Ignacio Morales, ASCC Representative
- Tessa Noriega, Library Support Specialist
- Allison Hughes, Instructional Technologist
- Jai Kumar, Bookstore Manager
- David Reed, Dean of Academic Services and Learning Technologies
- Chialin Hsieh, Interim Vice President of Instruction (ex-oficio)
- ASLT Division Representative (vacant)
- Counseling Division Representative (vacant)
- Kinesiology, Athletics, and Dance Division Representative (vacant)
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
The committee meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month, 12:30-1:30pm. Meetings are multi-modal; please join us in person (9-154; the Faculty Teaching and Learning Center & Lounge (FTLCL)) or via Zoom.
|Date||Documents and Materials|
(3rd Tuesday, since 28 March is during Spring Break)
For prior years' agendas, minutes, newsletters and reports, please go to the Prior Years page.
- Report for 8 September 2022
- Report for 13 October 2022
- Report for 10 November 2022
- Report for 8 December 2022
- Report for 9 February 2023
- Report for 9 March 2023
- Report for 13 April 2023
- Report for 11 May 2023
ZTC Adopter Program
Are you interested in receiving support and help in switching your course materials to OER...including a financial award for doing this work? If so, please go to the ZTC Adopter Program site for more information and applications.
Information and Tools
- Alphabet Soup: What are all of these acronyms with respect to OER/ZTC?
- Cañada Faculty Adoptions, listed by discipline, course, and instructor.
- FAQ for all things OER, ZTC, and more
- List of OER Resources, pulled from various listservs and connected to courses taught at Cañada
- Textbook Adoption Process, including how you can report that you are using OER in your course
Reports and Presentations
- April 2021 Board Report handout on the state of ZTC/OER in the District
- Flex Day and Open Education Week presentations
- OER/ZTC Implementation Plan, 2022-2027 (PDF)
Want to know more? Contact us!
- Information on Open Educational Resources and Z-Degrees: Sarah Harmon
- Finding ZTC resources: Diana Tedone-Goldstone
- Textbook Adoption: Jai Kumar
- Incorporating your course materials into your Canvas course shell: Allison Hughes